Fire Academy allows candidates to earn Firefighter plus Hazmat Awareness/Operations and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certifications.
The Catawba Valley Community College Fire Academy is an intensive training program designed to better prepare men and women for careers, both paid and volunteer, in the fire service. The CVCC Fire Academy applies real-world knowledge to its education principles and educates beyond the minimum certification requirements.
The rigors of today’s fire service are tremendous. To meet the challenges of a modern fire service, firefighters must obtain a strong base at the beginning of their careers that instills motivation, discipline, and integrity as it founding principles.
The CVCC Fire Academy provides a highly structured program that utilizes a military-like format to build both mental and physical preparedness and toughness in the cadets. Upon graduating from the academy, cadets will develop a new approach to both the profession and the idea of public service.
Spring Classes Begin: January 11, 2021
Application Deadline: December 7, 2020
Orientation: December 14, 2020 at 6:00 PM
Location: CVCC Public Safety Training Center
Admission into the CVCC Fire Academy is a competitive process and capacity is limited to 20 recruits. Candidates must complete application packets and submit them by December 7, 2020. Candidates are encouraged to apply early and can obtain packets at any time by contacting the CVCC fire program director.
Candidates must be 18 years of age by the first day of class on January 11, 2021.
Candidates Will Be Exposed To:
- Quality and Consistent Instruction
- Certification Courses– Firefighter, TIMS, Hazardous Materials Responder, and Emergency Medical Responder
- Physical Assessment and Development
- Real-World Skill Application
|Uniforms - approximate||$135.00|
|Tuition, if not a member of a fire department located in NC||$180.00|
Note: Uniform costs will be higher based on larger sizes and quantities ordered.
Candidates for the CVCC Fire Academy should know:
- The academy format is based on a paramilitary structure.
- Classes will be visited by potential hiring agencies.
- The academy is designed for both paid and volunteer firefighter careers.
- Progress reports are provided for host fire departments.
- Residency and ride-a-long programs are available.
This program will follow all required hours and curriculum for Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification.
A physical training (PT) component will be held daily in conjunction with the class.
Class Dates and Times
Date: January 11 to March 26
Times: 7:00 AM-5:30 PM
A complete schedule will be provided at the orientation on December 14, 2020 at 6:00 PM.
- Firefighter Certification Courses
- Hazardous Materials
- Traffic Incident Management
- Ceremonial Drill Training
- Emergency Medical Responder
- Self-Defense for First Responders
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Candidates are encouraged to apply to and attend the NC Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Class that will follow the Fire Academy.
For more information about the program and application packets, contact: