Veterans - Student Checklist
Veterans Student Checklist for Enrollment and Financial Aid
Veterans Educational Benefits Checklist
Welcome to CVCC! Contact the VA School Certifying Official (SCO) when you have completed all of the steps below and have all documentation.
VA School Certifying Official (SCO), Erin Conway, firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 828-327-7000 Ext. 4851.
To Utilize VA Educational Benefits
- You must have completed, submitted and activated your CVCC application.
- You must be pursuing a curriculum program of study. See CVCC catalog
- You must provide, to CVCC, an official transcript from your high school, Adult High School or GED.
- You must provide, to CVCC, official transcripts from all previous colleges.
- You are encouraged to provide your military transcript, but it is optional. Military transcripts can be obtained from the Joint Services Transcript website or the Community College of the Air Force website:
- (AARTS (Army), SMART (Navy/Marines), CGI (Coast Guard)—visit the Joint Services Transcript (JST) website to make your request.
- For CCAF (Air Force)—visit Air University Select, “Transcripts.”
- You may apply for Financial Aid in addition to your VA Educational Benefits.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Check your student email account frequently for communications from CVCC’s Financial Aid department.
- Be prepared to provide, to the SCO, a copy of your final DD-214 (Member 4 copy), if you are a veteran.
- Be prepared to provide, to the SCO, a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or a Statement of Benefits
from your E-Benefits account.
Apply for or Transfer VA Education Benefits
VA determines eligibility for benefits, not CVCC.
Apply for VA Educational Benefits
- Apply online
- Veterans or current service members: Complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.
- Dependents/Spouses receiving Transfer of Eligibility for Post 9/11 (a.k.a. Chapter 33): Complete VA Form 22-1990e
- Dependents/Spouses eligible for Survivor’s and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program: Complete VA Form 22-5490
- Bring a printed copy of the Confirmation Page or the confirmation number verifying submission of the application
Transfer VA Education Benefits, if benefits have been used at a previous institution
- Transfer your benefits to CVCC online
- For Ch. 33-Post 9/11, Ch. 30-Montgomery GI Bill-AD, Ch. 1606-MGIB-Selected Reserves: Complete and submit VA Form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training
- For Ch. 35-Dependent Educational Assistance or Ch. 33 Fry Scholarship: Complete and submit VA Form 22-5495 Dependent Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
Additional education benefit information
Additional education benefit information is available on the GI Bill website.
To view this (PDF) document, download the Adobe reader at www.adobe.com.