The Students of Furniture Apprenticeship (SOFA) program offers students apprenticeships with local companies.
The Students of Furniture Apprenticeship (SOFA) program is a workforce development initiative, preparing graduates for an exciting career in furniture.
- Now Recruiting—high school juniors, seniors, and recent graduates
- Training in Furniture Fundamentals—7-week Summer class in the basics
- Paid Furniture Pre-apprenticeships—students will explore a career as a skilled craftsman in furniture (sewing, upholstery, manual cutting, automated cutting, pattern-making, and spring-up). Starting pay is $10 per hour!
- Full-time Employment/Apprenticeship in the Furniture Industry—our ultimate goal for you upon graduation
Champion Scholars Students of Furniture Apprenticeship Program
June 14-August 6, 2021
This program provides high school students ages 16-18 with the knowledge and skills needed to develop an exciting new career in furniture.
Our program will not only introduce you to new career opportunities, but will provide a paid summer position as a pre-apprentice with a local furniture company.
Our ultimate goal is for you to explore a career as a skilled craftsman (sewing, upholstery, manual cutting, automated cutting, pattern-making, and spring-up). Full-time employment/apprenticeship opportunities available after completing the summer pre-apprenticeship program.
If interested, please print (print in black ink), complete the application, sign and return to us. Champion Scholars Student Application (PDF). Print, complete the application (print in black ink), sign and return to us. The deadline for applications is to be determined.
Return the application to: Lori Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
7-Week Classroom Instruction and Summer Employment
SOFA Open House will be held March 3, 2021 at 6:00 PM.
Class Dates and Times:
- Mandatory class orientation-May 27, 2021 at 6:00 PM.
- Fundamentals class-Online June 14-August 6, 2021
- Paid pre-apprentice positions will pay $10 per hour. Students may work additional hours, if approved by employer. Work dates to be determined.
- Students may take up to one week of vacation, if approved by the instructor and employer.
Classroom work includes:
- Employability Skills
- Introduction to Furniture Occupations
- Hand Tools and Equipment
Summer employment includes a paid pre-apprentice position with a local furniture company.
- Explore a career in furniture
- Earn college credit
- Earn high school credit
- Summer employment that can lead to a full-time job and apprenticeship opportunity with an area furniture company
Why register for the Students Of Furniture Apprenticeship?
If you are interested in an exciting new career, enjoy working with your hands, and enjoy creating or "building things," then the Students of Furniture Apprenticeship Program is right for you.
If you are looking for a great career and have an interest and aptitude for furniture, then you should register for this exciting opportunity.
To Register: Contact CVCC's Corporate Development Center at (828) 327-7000 ext. 4284.
Students Of Furniture Apprenticeship Partners
Thank you to the following companies for sponsoring this program:
- Century Furniture
- CR Laine
- Hickory Chair
- Lexington Home Brands
- Restoration Hardware
- Sherrill Furniture
- Vanguard Furniture
To view these (PDF) documents, download the free Adobe reader at www.adobe.com.