Appalachian State University-ASPIRE Appalachian
Aspire Appalachian = Peace of mind that you are guaranteed admission to Appalachian State University after you complete your associate degree!
Aspire Appalachian is a co-admission program between Appalachian State University (Appalachian) and Catawba Valley Community College intended for successful students who plan to transfer to Appalachian after completing an Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), or Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts (A.F.A.V.A.) degree, or an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in Early Childhood Education, Nursing, or Health and Fitness Science. The Aspire Appalachian program creates predictable pathways from Catawba Valley Community College to Appalachian State University and is designed to provide North Carolinians affordable access to higher education. Aspire Appalachian also provides advising support for students during their education at Catawba Valley Community College and prepares them for a successful transition to Appalachian State University.
In addition to the customary student services they receive at Catawba Valley Community College, Aspire Appalachian student receives the following benefits:
- Guaranteed admission to Appalachian.
- On-site admissions and academic advising.
- Coordinated financial aid programs.
- Invitations to special webinars, events, and newsletters designed to help the student successfully transfer to and succeed at Appalachian.
- Be in the process of completing, or have completed, ACA 122 (College Transfer Success) with a grade of C or better.
- Have at least two semesters (24 hours) remaining at Catawba Valley Community College.
- Be on track toward completion of an eligible two-year associate degree transfer program (approved programs include Associate in Arts (A.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.), or an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degrees through an institutional or state-wide articulation agreement).
- Complete an eligible associate degree program within 3 years from the date of acceptance into the Aspire Appalachian program.
- Be a full-time college student (minimum 12 credit hours per semester).
- Graduate from Catawba Valley Community College with a GPA of 2.25 or higher.
How to Apply
- Complete the Aspire Appalachian Intent Form.
- Complete ACA 122 (College Transfer Success) with a grade of C or better for full admission to the program.
- Once accepted, the student will be notified of acceptance by Appalachian State University.
- One semester before their last semester at Catawba Valley Community College, the student will apply to Appalachian State University.
Jeff D. Penley, J.D.
Special Advisor and Senior Professor for Technical and University Transfer Programs
828-327-7000, Extension 4310