Construction Careers Academy
The Construction Careers Academy is a workforce development initiative, preparing graduates for a career in Commercial and Residential Construction.
The Construction Careers Academy is a cooperative partnership between CVCC, area construction companies, the Catawba County Chamber of Commerce, and the Catawba Valley and Hickory Home Builders Associations. The goal is to actively identify and develop a skilled construction workforce for the future. Key cornerstones of the academy include:
- Workforce Identification and Recruiting - anyone interested in a career in construction with a focus on high school juniors and seniors
- Training in Construction Fundamentals - 7-week Summer class in the basics
- Paid Construction Pre-apprenticeships - where students learn a construction trade (carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, grading, etc.)
- Full-time Employment in the Construction Industry - our ultimate goal for you upon graduation
Construction Scholars Ride and Decide Program
Summer 2020—June 15-August 7
Construction Careers Ride and Decide program provides high school students ages 16-18 with the knowledge and skills to develop an exciting new career in construction. Working with local business and industry, our goal is to reach out to those students that enjoy working outside and take pride in "building things."
Our program will not only introduce you to new career opportunities, but will provide a paid summer position as a pre-apprentice with a local construction company.
Our ultimate goal is for you to explore a career as a skilled craftsman (electrician, carpenter, plumber, and HVAC technician), job superintendent, and project manager or construction business owner.
If interested, please print (print in black ink), complete the application, sign and return to us. Construction Scholars Ride and Decide Program application (PDF). Print, complete the application (print in black ink), sign and return to us.
Return the application to Keith Sipe, email@example.com.
7-week Classroom Instruction and Summer Employment
Classroom work includes:
- Safety-OSHA 10 Card
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Employability Skills
- Introduction to Construction Trades
- Hand Tools and Power Tools
Summer employment includes a paid pre-apprentice position with a local construction company. Benefits include:
- Explore a career in construction
- Earn college credit
- Earn high school credit
- Summer employment
Why Register for the Construction Careers Academy?
If you are interested in an exciting new career, enjoy working outside, and take pride in "building things," then the Construction Careers Academy is for you.
If you participated in Career and Technical Education classes in high school, then you are already on your way to a great career in construction.
If you are unemployed and have an interest and aptitude for construction, then you should register for the Construction Careers Academy.
To Register: Contact CVCC's Corporate Development Center-(828) 327-7000 ext. 4294
Demand for commercial and residential construction is outpacing skilled labor. There are 7.2 million construction jobs nationwide. Employment is up 3.7% with over 200,000 openings. North Carolina is projecting a need for over 20,000 construction craft employees.
Over 2,500 building permits are issued each year in the greater Hickory area alone.
Nationwide Salaries Average: Masonry - $53,490; Carpentry - $48,500; Electricians - $55,770.
Why Attend the Construction Careers Academy?
Individuals interested in exploring and developing an exciting new career as a skilled craftsman, business owner, construction manager, and/or construction project manager can:
- Obtain hands-on training in construction fundamentals - understanding construction safety, basic construction, and employability skills
- Summer paid pre-apprenticeship with a construction firm, learning skills associated with general contracting, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, heating and air conditioning, masonry, etc.
- Full-time employment with an area construction firm
The Dennis L.R. Starnes, Sr. Scholarship Endowment was the first endowment established through the CVCC Foundation to provide financial assistance to deserving individuals desiring to become a member of the construction industry. A life-long resident of Catawba County, Mr. Starnes exemplified excellence in craftsmanship as a Master Carpenter by "crafting homes" rather than building houses. This endowment will pay for the books required for this course.
Catawba County Chamber of Commerce Scholarships are available to qualified candidates of the Academy.
Both the Starnes Scholarship Endowment and the Chamber of Commerce provide scholarships for the Construction Careers Academy classes beginning in September 2018.
Area construction companies are invited to join the Construction Careers Academy providing program design, support, and funding. Business partners and their sponsorships are essential to the Academy’s success.
Area construction firms are invited to contribute to the Academy through a tax deductible contribution to the CVCC Foundation. Sponsorships include:
- Academy Sponsors – Initial gifts of $5000 and annual gifts of $3000 per year.
- Program Sponsors – Initial gifts of $2500 and annual gifts of $1500 per year.
- Support Sponsors – Initial gifts of $1000 and annual gifts of $500 per year.
Contact Keith Sipe at CVCC’s Workforce Development Innovation Center at (828) 327-7000 ext. 4613 or the CVCC Foundation, Inc. at (828) 327-7000, ext. 4288 to become a sponsor.
Construction Careers Academy Sponsors
Thank you to the following companies for sponsoring the Academy:
- Neill Grading and Construction
- David E. Looper and Company Inc.
- Matthews Construction
- Hickory Mechanical
- JK Landscaping and Grading
- Hickory Homebuilders Association of Hickory and Catawba Valley
- ServPro of Catawba County
- Lake Norman Glass and Custom Closets
- Century Fire Protection
- T.M. Caldwell Plumbing
- All County Plumbing LLC
- Peoples Bank
- Robinson Builders Mart
- Catawba County Chamber of Commerce
- Hickory Construction Company
- Lake Electric Company
- Canella Heating and Air Conditioning Inc.
To view these (PDF) documents, download Free Adobe reader at www.adobe.com.