Apply Now Campus Tour

College Transfer

CVCC has an exceptional college transfer program. We transfer to many colleges and universities.

Happy CVCC students
CVCC is a great place to begin a four year degree!

There are many reasons a student chooses to begin higher education at a community college. It is wise to think "long term" when planning to transfer - where to go and what major to choose. Take some time to study college transfer websites and speak to admissions staff at schools of interest. The goal is a smooth transfer with maximum transfer credits.

Students planning to transfer to a non-NC college or university should be in full conversation with that school before selecting a CVCC Program of Study.

The state of NC has created three definitive transfer options for CVCC graduates. These options generally comprise the first two years of a four year degree. Selecting the appropriate CVCC transfer degree is VERY important.

If you are interested in a four-year degree in business, the Business Administration Program at CVCC offers two options to assist you in earning a bachelor's degree. First, business administration courses have been incorporated into CVCC's College Transfer Program as course electives. Second, the Business Administration Program has a working relationship with four-year colleges in our area. For details, call (828) 327-7000, ext. 4011.

The College Transfer degrees are

  • The Associate in Arts degree is the one to select if you plan to apply to a NC 4-year public university to major in any liberal arts program such as music, history, education, pre-law, English, nursing (BSN), psychology or sociology.
  • The Associate in Science degree is the one to select if you plan to apply to a NC 4-year public university to major in any math/science related major like math, pre-med, pre-dental, pre-pharmacy, biology, kinesiology or chemistry.
  • The Associate in Engineering degree is the one to select if you plan to transfer to one of five specific NC public universities to major in engineering. (NCSU, UNC-C, WCU, NCA&T and ECU)
  • The Associate in Fine Arts degree offers three concentrations: AFA - Music, AFA - Drama and AFA - Visual Arts.

Comprehensive Articulation Agreements

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) allows a student who earns the Associate degree with no grade lower than a "C" to be guaranteed admission to at least one of the UNC system schools as a JUNIOR and make a smooth transition for maximum credit transfer.

The Independent College Articulation Agreement (ICAA) allows a student to make a seamless transfer to a number of private colleges and universities maximizing earned credits.

Some Associate in Applied Science degrees may transfer in full or in part to a four year school. CVCC has agreements with certain schools to accept the AAS degree in a 2 + 2 arrangement (subject to change).

This chart may be helpful for students who are discerning their academic futures:
CVCC Degree 4 Year School Major

Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN)


Associate Degree Nursing (RN to BSN - RIBN)

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) at ASU, Fayetteville State, ECU, NCA&T, NCCU, UNCC, UNCG, UNCP, UNCW, WCU or WSSU

Note: Bachelor of Science in Nursing at Lenoir-Rhyne University through Regionally Increasing Baccalaureate Nurses (RIBN) Program

AAS in Emergency Medical Science

BS in Emergency Medical Care at WCU

Associate in Engineering (AE)

Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering at NCSU, UNCC, WCU, NCA&T or ECU

AAS in Criminal Justice

BA in Criminal Justice at Lees-McRae College and Lenoir-Rhyne University

AAS in Entrepreneurship

BA in Entrepreneurship at Lenoir-Rhyne University

AAS in Health and Fitness Science

BS in Exercise Science at Lenoir-Rhyne University

AAS in Respiratory Therapy


Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy at UNC-C (bilateral agreement)

For additional information about College Transfer, please check in with one of the faculty members in a department of contact the Advising Center, located in the lower level of Student Services.

» Student Transfer Navigator at College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC)

» NC Public University Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA)

» NC Private College Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA)