CCP - Testing
Career and College Promise Pathways applicants are required to demonstrate college readiness. Placement testing may be required.
CVCC Testing Information for CCP Students
(for Fall 2019 and forward)
Career and College Promise (CCP) students who do not qualify with the required cumulative, unweighted high school GPA (2.8 or higher) may qualify with approved testing benchmarks (Reading, English, and Math) from one or more of the following: PSAT, SAT, Pre-ACT, ACT, RISE Placement Tests, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge International. RISE (Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence) Placement testing is available through the CVCC
To qualify through RISE, high school students must pass the three tiers in Mathematics and the two English/Reading tiers (score of 75 or higher on each tier). See following:
- English/Reading—75 or higher on Tier 1 and Tier 2;
- Mathematics—75 or higher on Tier 1 and Tier 2 and Tier 3
Students not mastering one tier must wait 10 business days before retesting. Each tier can only be retested one time.
Scheduling Instructions-RISE Placement Testing
A CVCC Student ID number must be assigned before testing can be scheduled. Therefore, potential CCP students MUST complete and submit a Career and College Promise (CCP) Application prior to testing. The completed application can be returned to either the high school counselor for public and private schools or to CVCC Student Services/CCP Office.
Allow two business days for application processing before scheduling a testing appointment.
All tests are administered on an appointment basis. Prior to scheduling the appointment, check the Testing Center Placement Test page for available dates and times.
When scheduling your testing appointment, you must identify yourself as a CCP student. If this isn’t done, you will be directed to follow the procedure for a non-CCP student which will cause a delay in your CCP registration process, and you will have to pay $25 to test.
CCP students can demonstrate college readiness with qualifying scores/benchmarks in English, Reading, and Math. When scheduling the RISE Placement test, you will need to indicate the RISE test section(s) needed. This is based on your current scores from any of the approved assessments (listed at the end of this document). For clarification, please see examples below and/or contact your high school counselor for assistance.
- Example 1: A student has not met the required scores (on one or more of the Approved Diagnostic Assessment Tests) in Math and in English/Reading—the student needs to take RISE Math and RISE English/Reading.
- Example 2: A student has met required score in Math (on one of the Approved Diagnostic Assessment Tests) but does not have the required scores for English and/or Reading—the student needs to take RISE English/Reading.
- Example 3: A student has met the required score(s) in English and Reading (on one or more of the Approved Diagnostic Assessment Tests) but does not have the required scores for Math—the student needs to take RISE Math.
Call the Testing Center to schedule your testing appointment. Testing Center dates of operation vary; plan ahead.
Important Note: Do not schedule your testing appointment online.
Testing Center Contact Information:
CVCC’s Testing Center (located on our East Campus behind Northern Tool on Hwy. 70)
2760 Hwy. 70 SE
Hickory, NC 28602
Email (preferred method of contact): email@example.com
Telephone: (828) 327-7000 Ext. 4048 (leave voicemail as needed)
Testing must be completed before the stated CCP paperwork deadline for each semester. Refer to the Important Dates tab at for deadline information or check with
your high school counselor.
Note: RISE Placement Testing is not available every day. Please plan ahead and make your testing arrangements ASAP.
Be prepared for testing: Visit EdReady to take a practice test.
Approved Tests/Assessments—2019FA and beyond
Qualifying unofficial scores must be provided during the registration process in which the student is enrolled in the CCP Program. An unofficial student or school copy of the test score reports from the official testing agency (ACT and/or College Board) may be submitted by the school counselor/administrator.
Qualifying Benchmarks for CCP Students
Approved Diagnostic Assessment Tests:
- PSAT 10 and PSAT/NMSQT (2015 and Future)—English: 26 or a composite score of 460 for Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing; Reading: 26 or a composite score of 460 for Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing; Mathematics: 24.5 or 510
- SAT (March 2016 and Future)—Evidence-Based Reading and Writing 480; Mathematics 530
- Pre-ACT and ACT—English 18; Reading 22; Math 22
- RISE Placement Test – English/Reading: 75 or higher on Tier 1 and Tier 2; Mathematics: 75 or higher on Tier 1 and Tier 2 and Tier 3
- Advanced Placement (AP)—English, Language and Composition: 3 or higher; English, Literature, and Composition: 3 or higher; Calculus AB: 3 or higher; Calculus BC: 3 or higher
- International Baccalaureate (IB)—IB English A (Standard or Higher Level): 4 or higher; IB Mathematics (Higher Level): 4 or higher; IB Advanced Mathematics (Higher Level): 4 or higher; IB Mathematical Studies (Standard Level): 4 or higher
- Cambridge International Examinations—AS Level English Language: C or higher; A Level English Language: C or higher; AS Level Language and Literature in English: C or higher; AS Level Math: C or higher; A Level Math: C or higher; A Level Mathematics-Further: C or higher
Important Note: To be eligible for enrollment in a College Transfer Pathway, students must demonstrate college readiness in English, reading, and mathematics on an approved test or tests. Eligibility may be demonstrated by achieving the required scores on a single test or by combining test scores from any of the approved assessments. For example, a student may combine a 22 on math with a 480 on SAT composite score for evidenced based reading and writing to demonstrate college readiness.