HEALTH SERVICES ENTRANCE EXAMS
Students applying to health services programs must meet all minimum requirements as set forth by their respective program of interest.
The Associate Degree Nursing program requires students to take the Test of Essential Academic Skills version 5.0 (TEAS-V) as one component of their minimum requirements.
Several health services programs require the PSB-HOAE (Psychological Services Bureau-Health Occupations Aptitude Exam) test as one of their minimum requirements.
Both types of health services entrance exams require an appointment. Seating is limited, advanced planning is highly suggested to meet program deadlines; please do not wait until your deadline month to schedule a test. Each test, PSB and TEAS, will have at least one session offered each month throughout the year; high demand months will have more sessions available. Please click on the appropriate link below for more detailed information.
To schedule an appointment, contact the Testing Center: 828-327-7000 Ext. 4138
PSB / TEAS
The PSB exam is specifically designed for those students entering education programs for health professions. It is comprised of a series of tests that measure abilities, knowledge, and aptitudes considered important for successful performance of students in a health program. Following is the series of tests which comprise the PSB Exam:
• Academic Aptitude (Verbal, Arithmetic, Non-Verbal)
• Reading Comprehension
• Information in the Natural Sciences
• Vocational Adjustment Index
PSB exam scores are one part of the criteria used for the selection process of determining students accepted into the nursing program.
Things to Know About Taking The PSB:
• A photo ID will be required prior to testing.
• The PSB exam has a non-refundable fee of $30.00. The CVCC Business Office can accept cash, check or credit cards. (Applicants should not pay for the exam until they are certain they will be taking the exam.)
• The test is about 2 hours and 30 minutes long.
• The PSB website can provide helpful test information, test tips and sample questions: http://www.psbtests.com/web/guest/test-resources
Select HOAE Sample Questions.
The TEAS exam is administered to applicants of the ADN--Associate Degree Nursing program.
TEAS exam scores are one part of the criteria used for the selection process of determining students accepted into the nursing program.
The TEAS exam measures a student’s abilities in the following academic areas:
• English and Language Usage
Things to Know About Taking the TEAS:
• The TEAS exam has a non-refundable fee of $45.00 payable to the Business Office. The CVCC Business Office can accept cash, check or credit cards.
• A photo ID will be required prior to taking the exam.
• Total test time is 209 minutes (which is 3.48 hours). However, to account for instruction time plan to be here for 4 hours.
• Students may prepare for the exam by ordering the TEAS Study Manual and/or the TEAS Online Practice Assessment from the ATI website: http://www.atitesting.com/onlinestore.