Important FAFSA Information
To complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA Application, please use 2015 tax information. If you are completing the 2018-2019 FAFSA, then students should use their and/or their parents' 2016 tax information.
We understand that Financial Aid process can seem challenging, however, the more you understand the process, the more successful you will be in completing the process.
The most important step in applying for financial aid is completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1st each year.
NOTE: There is NO charge associated with submitting the FAFSA. It is a FREE application. If you have questions, contact The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid or the Federal Student Aid Agency at (800) 433-3243.
Important Information Regarding the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
To protect sensitive taxpayer data, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on fafsa.gov and StudentLoans.gov is unavailable for 2017-2018 FAFSA processing.
How to Fill Out the FAFSA Form Without Access to the IRS DRT for 2017-2018.
If you are using your 2015 income tax return to manually enter information on your FAFSA form, the FAFSA instructions provide guidance on which line number to reference depending on the IRS tax form you filed. That information is also provided in the table below. For more specific guidance on each item, visit fafsa.gov/help.htm. If you're using a tax transcript, there won’t be line numbers to reference, so read each question carefully.
The IRS DRT is available for to complete your 2018-2019 FAFSA.
Follow these steps to apply for financial aid at CVCC:
- Complete the CVCC Application for Admission.
- Create a FSA ID. Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use a FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents.
- Submit the FAFSA - CVCC SCHOOL CODE: 005318
If you needed assistance with submitting your FAFSA, please use the online tutorial “7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA.” For assistance with the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for the FAFSA, visit FAFSA Help and click on “IRS DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL.”
- Once your FAFSA has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation page and e-mail notification that your FAFSA has been received and processed. If no e-mail address is provided, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail. Check the SAR for accuracy and make sure CVCC is listed as a recipient of your information.
- Upon receipt of your FAFSA data from the Department of Education, the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will contact you via your CVCC student e-mail account, requesting documents needed to complete your file. Submit all requested documentation promptly to complete your financial aid application.
- Financial Aid award letters are emailed to students once the FAFSA is received by the school, all documents are processed and the file is complete. The e-mail will give students information on how to view their award letter in “MYCVCC Portal.” For assistance with MYCVCC Portal, please visit MyCVCC Portal Help page.
NOTE: The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid cannot provide you with an estimated award until you have submitted an official high school transcript, have been admitted to the College, and have chosen an eligible program of study.
» Additional help with submitting the FAFSA