Learning Assistance Center
Tutor Training Opportunities
The Learning Assistance Center Peer Tutoring Program offers tutor training to all tutors. Tutors have the opportunity to become a Level I and Level II tutor. Every perspective tutor must attend a two-hour tutor orientation workshop before he/she can begin tutoring.
To become a Level I tutor, a tutor must complete six hours of face-to-face tutor training and four additional hours ( internet traing, dvds, etc.) of tutor training for a total of ten hours. Tutors must also complete 25 hours of supervised tutoring. The Level I topics listed below are discussed during Tutor Orientation.
1. Definition of tutoring and tutor responsibilities 30 minutes
2. Do's and Don'ts of Tutoring 15 minutes
3. Techniques for successfully begining and ending a tutor session 15 minutes
Other Level I topics that are offered as a workshop and/or internet training are as follows:
4. Learning Styles 5, Communication Skills 6. Study Skills 7. Critical Thinking Skills
8. Preparing For and Taking Tests 9. Strategies for Improving Concentration and Memory
Level I tutors are CRLA certified.
To become a Level II tutor, a tutor must complete four hours of face-to-face training and six additional hours of training which may be face-to-face, internet training (see below), dvds, etc. A tutor must also complete 25 additional hours of supervised tutoring. The Level II topics are listed below.
1, Probing Questions 2. Brain Dominance 3. Cultural Diversity
4. Changing Your Study Behavior
5. Helping Students Manage Their Time
6. Tutoring in Specific Subject Areas
7. Understanding How the Brain Naturally Learns
Level II tutors are CRLA certified.
Below are links to PowerPoint training sessions. Each training session is followed by a questionnaire and/or additional handouts. The tutor will view the PowerPoint training session and then print off the accompanying questionnaire and/or handouts. After answering the questionnaire and/or handouts, the tutor will turn in the completed work to Becky Franklin, Tutor Coordinator in the LAC.
Level I Tutor Training Opportunities:
Level II Tutor Training Opportunities:
» View PowerPoint about "Helping Students Manage Their Time"
» Print-off Questionnaire for "Helping Students Manage Their
» Print-off Time Management Inventory Handout
» Print-off Term Calendar Handout
» Print-off Weekly Planner Handout
» Print-off Daily Planner Handout
» Print-off Checking My Study Habits Handout
» Print-off Checking My Study Place Handout