HRD - Workplace skills
You can achieve almost any goal if:
- You know what you want, when you want it, and why you want it.
- You define it and commit it to writing.
- You visualize yourself already possessing it.
How to set goals:
- Write a plan. What are 3 things you want to accomplish this year?...in the next 5 years?
- Where am I in relationship to these goals?
- What is the time frame to accomplishing these goals?
- Keep a ledger…Goal, Action, Time Frame
Talk to people you trust that know you best, people who have achieved similar goals.
Do self assessments: What do you enjoy? What are your capabilities? What are your handicaps?
What hurdles are you likely to encounter?
Prioritize your goals.
Be positive. ie: I am enjoying teaching in a daycare and doing activities with the children.
Remember it is important to "Love yourself". This is one of the secrets to goal success.
DON'T GIVE UP!
To have a specific goal, ask:
- What do I want?
- When do I want it?
- Why do I want it?
- How do I intend to get it?
- How can I better measure my goal?
- How can I add in dimension, quantity, weight, amount, size, value, dollars, grades, measurements or time to better define my goals? ie: I will have my Assoc degree in Nursing with a 3.5 GPA from CVCC by June 2012.
To make your goals work:
- Read and review your goals 3 time a day…morning, noon, and night.
- Clip pictures or symbols that remind you of your goals and keep them prominently displayed as reminders.
- As often as you can, visualize yourself already possessing them.
- Don't be afraid to change your goals as your values change: this shows progress.
- Reveal your goals to no one who'll react negatively.
S: Set SPECIFIC goals. ie: I am driving a new red 2009 camaro.
M: Make it MEASURABLE. ie:I am reading 2 chapters and answering questions
every day to
improve my reading comprehension.
A: Figure out ways to make your goals ATTAINABLE. Ie: I will exercise daily, eat
healthy, and lose 2 pounds a week.
R: Set REALISTIC goals. Instead of saying I will cut out all sweets, say: I will replace
fruit for a sweet each day until I have eliminated sweets.
T: Set a TIMEFRAME. ie:I will complete my GED in 1 year, by May 2010.
Goal Setting Websites: