How to Apply to the Program
All minimum admission requirements (MARs) must be completed and turned in to the CVCC Student Records Department by hand or by emailing the scanned MARS Student Checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org (make sure your CVCC Student ID number is present on the checklist) by the March 31st deadline in order to be eligible for Fall admission.
- CVCC Application - the application can be completed online or in person and processed by seeing an Admissions staff member in Student Services by March 31st. (Note: On-line applications will NOT be processed until applicant comes in and meets with Admissions in Student Services.)
- High School or Adult Secondary Credential Official Sealed Transcripts - Official Transcripts or Official test scores from Adult Credentials must be on file at CVCC.
- Official Sealed transcripts from previously attended colleges - All transcripts must be on file at CVCC. Only "C" or better grades will transfer as official grades.
Please send all official sealed transcripts to the following address:
Student Records/Allied Health
Catawba Valley Community College
2550 Highway 70 SE
Hickory, NC 28602-8302
- Placement testing or previous college coursework
- Completion of a High school or College Biology course with a "C" or better - Applicants must complete or have completed one year of biology in high school, at CVCC, or another college with a grade of "C" or better. This is verified by an official transcript.
- GPA of 2.50 - Students who have taken coursework at CVCC must have a minimum cumulative (overall) GPA of 2.50 on all coursework.
- Completion of PSB exam - Applicants will need to complete the PSB exam and/or make sure the scores are received by the deadline. To schedule an appointment for the PSB exam, call the CVCC Testing Center at (828) 327-7000 ext. 4048. The PSB exam requires a nonrefundable fee and will be paid in the CVCC Business Office prior to the test date. The applicant will need to take receipt of payment and picture ID to the CVCC Testing Center to be eligible for testing.
COMPLETION OF ADMISSION CRITERIA IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF ACCEPTANCE.
COMPETITIVE SELECTION PROCESS:
Qualified applicants will be selected for admission by the following competitive criteria.
- Past Academic Performance
- Assignment of points for general education courses out of the curriculum.
- The applicant's unweighted cumulative high school GPA. This must have been in the last 3 years.
- PSB Examination
- Applicants are awarded points according to their performance on the exam.
- Applicants may take the PSB once per academic year.
- Applicants must take the PSB Examination for Health Occupations and score in the 40th %ile in Academic Aptitude, Reading Comprehension, and Information in the Natural Sciences.
- Information on PSB? www.psbtests.com
- Bonus Points
- BS, MS, MA Degrees will be rewarded additional points towards their competitive process.
- Attend an orientation session with the ST. Director.
- Provide proof of current Healthcare Provider CPR - Due no later than 1st day of fall session.
- Complete a CVCC Health examination form certifying that he/she appears to be able to participate in activities of health profession in a clinical setting - Due no later than 1st day of fall session.
Applicants accepted into the program will be required to: