PLEASE NOTE: SPECIFIC DEADLINES ARE SET FOR EACH ENTERING CLASS. PLEASE REFER TO THE CURRENT DENTAL HYGIENE ADMISSION PACKET FOR THE ADMISSION DEADLINE DATE FOR THE NEXT DENTAL HYGIENE CLASS.
ADMISSION TO THE DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM IS COMPETITIVE.
THERE IS NO WAITING LIST.
- For complete information on the admission procedure for Dental Hygiene, please refer to the current Dental Hygiene admission packet.
- The Dental Hygiene Program does not conduct information sections about the program. If you have any questions after reviewing the Admissions Packet, please e-mail any of the Program's faculty at the addresses listed in the "Staff" tab, or email email@example.com.
- Applicants must complete the CVCC application for admission and the applications must be received in Student Services. On-line applications will NOT be processed until the applicant comes in and meets with a Student Services Counselor.
- Applicants must be high school graduates or have received a GED. An official high school transcript showing the graduation date or an official copy of the GED scores must be received by CVCC in a sealed envelope or they will not be accepted.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges must be received by CVCC in a sealed envelope or they will not be accepted . Grades less than a "C" are not transferable.
- Applicants who do not meet CVCC's testing exemptions must take the required Reading, Writing, and Math placement tests.
- Applicants must complete or have completed ALL general education courses required in the program.
These courses include:
ENG 111 BIO 163 CHM 130 COM 110 SOC 210 ENG 114 BIO 175 CHM 130A PSY 150
A minimum grade of "C" is required for these courses.
- If you are planning to continue your education (Bachelor's degree or higher) after completing the Dental Hygiene Program, be aware that some of the courses listed above may not be accepted as transfer courses by all universities. You may want to substitute some of the courses on the list for courses that will transfer to the institution you want to attend. Let your academic adviser know to explore the available options.
- Applicants who have taken coursework at CVCC or are currently enrolled in coursework at CVCC, must have a minimum cumulative (overall) grade point average of 2.00 on all CVCC coursework.
- All applicants must "shadow" a licensed Dental Hygienist. (min. 4 hours per day on each of 3 different days or the equivalent of 12 hours; contact Connie Preiser, Dental Hygiene Program Director, at extension 4440, for Shadowing questions). Please use the official form included in the current Admission Packet to document the shadowing.
- Applicants must take the PSB Examination for Health Occupations. The non-refundable fee for this exam. Refer to the complete Dental Hygiene packet for details on taking the PSB Exam for Health Occupations.
- Applicants must submit the Dental Hygiene MARS Student Checklist to Student Records by the deadline to meet admission requirements.
- Admission is based on competitive selection criteria, including: grades from general education courses in the Dental hygiene curriculum, PSB examination scores, shadowing, and work experience as a Certified Dental Assistant.
- THERE IS NO WAITING LIST. If you are not accepted, you have to reapply for the next class. You must go to Student Services and talk to one of the Counselors to re-apply.
- After receiving the acceptance letter, but prior to enrollment, the applicant must:
- Attend a class orientation session with the department's faculty and staff.
- Submit a completed health examination form, verifying no mental or physical disabilities which would prevent safe, effective practice of dental hygiene.
- Complete CPR class when scheduled by the program. All students must take the CPR class, even if they have a current CPR certification.