Student Support Services Information
Helpful Links for Students
We have several important links of which to remind you, and we ask you to use these as you need them. We will do our best to get answers to you as soon as possible when you submit questions via one of these links.
- If you have questions concerning the operations of the college during this health emergency, please submit those using this link:
- You may find answers to many student-related questions using this link:
- If you have additional technical questions not answered by this page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clinical instruction and some Work-Based Learning courses are suspended. Time to resume the course will be provided at an alternate date. Students will not be penalized academically for the suspension of any coursework.
- Students and employees please continue to monitor all CVCC communications for the latest updates.
- At this time, Spring Break is still scheduled for April 10-15
- East Campus has moved courses that have a Blackboard shell into an online format. We cannot accept in person
registration but some courses are still available for registration and payment through instant online enrollment.
- Courses scheduled to start the week of March 23 are being evaluated and rescheduled as appropriate.
- Continuing Education students are advised to check the website for updates.
Services Available to Students in Alternate Formats
- Staff members are monitoring emails and responding as soon as possible
- Staff members are calling and emailing all persons who have admitted applications with new information about activating applications by distance
- Shiny white folder pieces are being sent electronically to newly admitted students
- Special credit students are being communicated with electronically as per the usual process
- Graduation applications are being processed by mail
- Communication is occurring with SEVIS concerning our international students
- March 31 deadline for Radiography, Respiratory, and Surgical Technology students still holds - all requirements are being sent via email; some students need to take the TEAS test-Students Services is working with them
- Still admitting potential student athletes electronically
Advising Center Services
- Advising Center staff are available for the following:
- Receiving withdrawal paperwork through emails as needed
- Advising for degree completion and planning for registration for summer
- Registration for Spring Intersession and Summer Semester beginning March 23 both by phone or email
- Spring and Summer graduation questions and advising
- Academic probation counseling and removal of restrictions
- Any academic questions, concerns, issues that need to be addressed
- Informational inquiries regarding available programs, enrollment, how to begin the process, program contacts, etc.
- Virtual Career Advising Services
- Career Assessments and Resources Available
- Career Coach and Focus 2 Career Planning (available 24/7 on CVCC Career Advising webpage) – Both resources offer career and CVCC program information to learn more about careers and educational options at CVCC.
- Myers-Briggs Personality Type assessment and Strong Interest Inventory (offered through the Elevate Platform). Both assessments are taken online, and individual interpretation sessions will be completed by phone, email, or teleconferencing.
- The CVCC Career Advising webpage also offers additional online resources to assist students in career assessment and career exploration. These resources include CareerOne Stop, College Foundation of NC, NCWorks Online, ONET Online, and Occupational Outlook Handbook. Students will be directed to use these online resources to assist in exploration and research regarding careers and educational opportunities.
Individual Career Advising Sessions
- Individual career advising sessions are available via email, phone, or teleconferencing through WebEx. Students can request career advising services by email or phone. Virtual career advising sessions will be arranged at that time based on student’s need(s).
- Our Career Advisor can access the student’s career assessment results for each platform and send their results by email (MBTI and Strong Interest) for virtual interpretation/career advising sessions.
Instruction will be provided to students through virtual career advising sessions to help students maximize their career exploration efforts in making informed decisions about their career direction and program of study.
- See the financial aid Facebook page for updates
- Students can submit any requested documents via email, postal mail, and fax.
Learning Assistance Center (LAC)
LAC staff are available for the following:
- Math, Accounting, Chemistry tutoring offered via WebEx
- Writing tutoring offered via e-help online service
- Providing tutoring by phone and Skype
- Providing the option of the Google app (this is what all the public schools are using) and Facebook messenger. Both of these have time stamps and record the transactions.
Student Records Information
- Graduation applications have moved to an electronic process through email
- Our Allied Health candidates’ applications are being reviewed and processed
- Registration emails have been sent out and registration for Summer 2020 will occur via online, by phone, by email, via WebEx meetings
- Any student records issues are being handled via email and/or phone
Testing Center Information
- Face to face testing was suspended on March 15, 2020
- Pearson Vue has suspended testing in all PV Select Centers (this is CVCC and other commnity colleges)
- Staff are monitoring email and voicemail daily and responding accordingly
- Staff is still processing request for test scores
- If approved, the Testing Center has a plan to administer the TEAS test for CVCC Allied Health applicants to satisfy the March 31, 2020 requirement
- If approved, the Testing Center has a plan to offer Individual Proctor services
VA Office and Office of Student Services at the Alexander Center
- Emails are being answered as are phone calls.
- Information is available regarding COVID-19 and the impact on GI Bill benefits. Information is disseminated to students as applicable.
- Instructions to current VA students regarding how to register online for the summer semester have been emailed to each student.
- Both offices continue to process admissions and VA benefits paperwork such as reports, pay sheets, debt notices, reporting of withdrawals to the VA, processing applications for admissions and responding to inquiries related to admissions.
- All staff members are monitoring emails and voicemails and responding as soon as possible.
- If you are unsure about the specific individual to contact the email@example.com email is available to answer anything related to the business office (accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, purchasing).
Payments can still be made via your portal or mailed in to:
2550 US Hwy 70 SE
Hickory, NC 28602
The library will be closing physical access to the public and students. Faculty, and staff access is restricted to need only basis. The library will be staffed from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM until further notice.
One of the main goals of library services is access. To ensure all faculty, staff, and students are aware of how to access library resources off campus we have created a Library Guide. You can find the guide at Library Guides (https://cvcc.libguides.com/offcampusaccess.) The guide will also be posted in Blackboard and on the library webpage of the CVCC website.
This guide includes information on off-campus login credentials, using library databases, contact information for library staff and the Help Desk, among other helpful resources. Please take a moment to read over the guide. Please share the guide with your students and colleagues who may not be on this distribution list.
In support of our campus please remember the library offers the following services:
- Embedded Librarians-You can add a library staff member to your Blackboard course to facilitate research assistance and we can join you in WebEx for library instruction.
- Library Chat-All CVCC users have 24 hour access to “Ask a Librarian" "Ask A Librarian", a 24 hour services allowing access to qualified librarians. The service is linked on the library website and in the Off-Campus Access LibGuide
- A Temporary Texting Option-During this time students can text (828) 237-1784. This is not a private number. This number will be monitored by at least two library staff members between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Please note, replies may not be immediate but will be sent ASAP.
- Email - As always we will be checking our email. Contact the librarian at ;firstname.lastname@example.org as the college has multiple staff members who can assist you.
During this time, you may receive notices for overdue books. During the time that classes have been being moving online we are working to renew all currently checked out items past our usual three (3) week checkout window. Please email email@example.com for an extension if needed.
Lastly, if you like the LibGuide-let us know! LibGuides can be customized to specific courses, programs, assignments, etc. Check out all of our current LibGuides (https://cvcc.libguides.com/?b=g&d=a.)
Until further notice the Campus Store is working through our service window only, with limited Monday through Thursday service. Our online store will remain open and we will process orders as needed to accommodate fall classes. All textbook orders should be completed through our online store. Fall ordering will be available August 3. If possible, eBook/access code orders will be emailed directly to the student email accounts. The campus store email will be monitored for all questions that arise.
The store will resume normal operating hours once the COVID-19 situation changes.
Q: How do I obtain my textbook materials for my late start class?
A: Please visit the Campus Store and follow the shopping cart.
Q: When can I come to the Campus Store to pick-up my books?
A: Students have the option to
- Orders will ship FedEx and a tracking email will be sent once order is complete.
- Pick-up Service window located in the Student Center. Students will receive an email with pick-up instructions when the order is ready, with Monday-Thursday availability.
We will not process any orders at the pick-up site, students will need to order through our online store ahead of time. The store will be closed.
Q: Can I get supplies from the Campus Store?
A: Yes, there have been a few select school supplies and technology items added to our online store under CVCC Merchandise.
Q: How do I purchase my books with my Financial Aid?
A: When checking out in the online store you will select “Student Account” as your payment type.
Q: Can I purchase supplies or technology with my financial aid?
A: Yes. As long as students have funds available, after books students can purchase supplies and technology.
Q: How do I contact the Campus Store?
A: Due to limited contact you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org
The following student activities are being scheduled. More information to follow.
- Blood Drive on March 25 with a goal of 40-approved
- Proposed Interclub Council Meeting via WebEx
- SGA Officers meeting via WebEx
- Proposed “Drive Thru Spring Fling”
- SGA new officers recruiting email
- SGA elections via Survey Monkey
- Printing SGA Awards Day certificates and bulletin
Fall 2020 - Currently enrolled students can begin to register July 6 and received an email with instructions. New and returning students can register beginning on July 20. Appointments for new and returning students will be published on July 6.
Career and College Promise (CCP)
As we transition to online instruction beginning next week, our Educational Technology Director, Athena Smith and our Educational Technology Department stand ready to assist students and faculty with technology questions as they arise. We are in communication with our public school partners to develop plans for completing CCP courses.
We are working our high school partners to identify any current senior who may be using a CVCC course to meet high school graduation requirements this semester. Once they are identified, we will be able to work individually with the student, faculty, and high school in regards to academic continuity planning and meeting CVCC course requirements that cannot be met in an online/remote format. This is only for current seniors this semester and includes Welding, Advertising Graphic Design, Machining and other CTE or college-transfer courses.
The SkillsUSA State Competition has been cancelled. Alternative plans are being considered by the North Carolina SkillsUSA State Office.
We are working to provide technology to students on an as-needed basis. Please contact your instructor via email if you have technology needs or complete the following survey: Student Technology Needs Survey
If you have a hotspot and are in an area of weak reception, please move to an area that has a stronger signal for better reception.
CVCC is moving all courses and campus services to online or alternative delivery modes. Therefore, beginning Friday, March 19, all CVCC campuses and sites will limit access to the general public. Essential employees only will be allowed on campus.
We are not receiving payment on campus until further notice. All electronic services, including payments, are available.
The campus hours are 7:00 AM-7:00 PM. Buildings are on a scheduled locking system and will lock automatically at 7:00 PM. The campus is accessible for employees only at this time.
Please click on the CVCC COVID-19 Virtual Hotline to submit any questions that you may have related to courses, operations, or services or call the CVCC COVID-19 Hotline (828) 624-5219.
Links to Services
March 19, 2020
Due to the evolving situation with the COVID-19 virus, CVCC is currently limiting physical interaction to protect the health and safety of our campus community. Please visit our website at www.cvcc.edu for updates.
Please email any of the following areas for service:
|Campus Store (Bookstore)||email@example.com|
|Career and College Promise (CCP)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Learning Assistance Center (LAC)||email@example.com|
|Student Recordsfirstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
|VA Education Benefitsfirstname.lastname@example.org|