Apprenticeship Catawba Information
Apprenticeship Catawba FAQs, Information, and How It Works
A partnership of advanced manufacturing companies in the Catawba Valley area committed to the purpose, value, ethics, and integrity of a formalized apprenticeship program.
- Earn while learning
- Full scholarship to earn your degree while earning a paycheck
- Earn a 2-year Associate in Applied Science
- Guaranteed employment based on satisfactory job performance
What is Apprenticeship Catawba?
- 4-year program: one day per week at CVCC, combined with 8,000 hours of on-the-job training provided by a local manufacturing company
- Journeyman Certificate-NC Department of Commerce and the US Department of Labor
- Associate in Applied Science in Mechatronics Engineering Technology or Computer Integrated Machining Technology from CVCC
- Earn a paycheck while earning a degree and learning manufacturing skills
- College education is free; the company will pay 100% of tuition and books
- Guaranteed employment opportunity with 4-years seniority (based on successful completion and satisfactory job performance)
- Additional scholarship opportunities to continue education and obtain 4-yr degree (may vary by company)
- Career and College Promise-get a jump start into Apprenticeship Catawba!
Provide the skills necessary for companies.
- Mechanical Maintenance Technician - Perform mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic repairs and maintenance of industrial equipment.
- Troubleshoot systems
- Utilize precision measurement devices
- Use hand and power tools
- Operate machine tools to fabricate and repair components.
- Electrical Maintenance Technician - Diagnose, repair and install electrical systems and electronic machines and industrial controls, including robotics, automation, and power distribution. Utilize precision diagnostic tools, computers, and programming skills
- Mechatronics Technician - A highly skilled technician combining the expertise of both the mechanical and electrical maintenance technician. Can diagnose, troubleshoot, repair, and install all types of industrial equipment.
- Tool and Die Maker - Working from engineering drawings, tool and die makers fabricate fixtures, dies, molds, machine tools, cutting tools, gauges, etc. used in the manufacturing process. Utilize manually operated and CNC machine tools, and computer aided design to make very precise tooling.
- CNC Machinist - Will program, operate, set-up and maintain CNC Machines, computer numerically controlled machines that have a high-level of accuracy and efficiency. Typically working from blueprints or detailed technical drawings, and utilizing design and computer aided-machining software to produce precise parts.
Students wishing to participate with Apprenticeship Catawba must have a minimum GPA of 3.0, have excellent math and technical skills, and a good attendance record.
Held in January and February, check us out at our open house. Parents will be invited to attend!
Invest four days of your time in March and April in the afternoons after school to attend orientation. You will have a chance to check out the different companies and work on a take home project.
Pre-Apprenticeship - June and July
Try out a pre-apprenticeship in June and July and check the place out! Spend six weeks with a company and earn money and college credits. This is a “trial run” period for you and for the company to determine if there is successful fit. Employers will select students who are successful in the pre-apprenticeship to be eligible for the Apprenticeship program.
Apprenticeship begins in the Fall
As a senior in high school, you will attend school for half of your day; and work half of your day. A high school graduate will attend classes at CVCC one day per week; and will work four days per week. You will be considered a full-time employee.
Apprentice Wage Scale
|Phase of Program||Wage||Bonus|
|Start of Apprenticeship||$9.00||plus performance Bonus|
|Second year Apprenticeship||$10.00||plus performance Bonus|
|Third year Apprenticeship||$11.50||plus performance Bonus|
|Fourth year Apprenticeship||$13.90||plus performance Bonus|
Note: Performance bonus is given two times per year in conjunction with an evaluation based on academics and job performance.
During the pre-apprenticeship and while still in high school, you will be considered a part-time employee. Once you have graduated from high school, you will be considered a full-time employee and eligible for associated benefit programs (after eligibility waiting period has been satisfied).
Expected base salary after successful completion of apprenticeship program is $34,000.
Salary Comparison and Expectations
|Type of Wage||Wage per Hour||Wage per Year|
|National Minimum Wage for US||$7.25||$15,080|
|National Minimum Wage for NC||$7.25||$15,080|
|NC School Teacher with bachelor's degree||$35,000|
|Job Title||Wage per year|
|Industrial Maintenance Mechanic||$43,000|
|Experienced Tool and Die Maker||$46,000|
Continue your education!
There is a world of opportunity for the Apprentice Graduate!
|Job Title||Wage per year|
- Concept Frames
- GKN Driveline Torque
- Tenowo Nonwovens
- ZF Chassis Components
If you are interested in Apprenticeship Catawba, speak with your guidance counselor about your interest in the program. Eligible students (and their parents) will be invited to an open house at the company.