Apply Now Campus Tour

High School Equivalency

High School Equivalency at Catawba Valley Community College provides options for adults to acquire high school level credentials.

CVCC's High School Equivalency (HSE) program prepares students to pass standardized equivalency tests such as the GED®, HiSET, or TASC. Classes are free and open to students 16 years of age or older. Students may study in our open labs or online. Students must be formally enrolled to use the online skill-building program.

female student holding notebooks

How do I get started?

  • Step 1 - Schedule an assessment appointment with the Basic Skills Office.
  • Step 2 - Attend a mandatory orientation session.
  • Step 3 - Begin studying in our labs or at home.

Call (828) 327-7000, ext. 4353,or stop by East Campus Room 1031.

Open Lab Hours

East Campus, Hickory

Monday through Thursday, 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM and 4:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Fridays 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Friday classes are closed during the summer.

Alexander Campus, Taylorsville

Monday/Wednesday, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Tuesday/Thursday, 5:00 PM - 8:30 PM

Please call (828) 632-8221 for more information about studying for your HSE at the CVCC Alexander Center.

High School Equivalency FAQs

What is the GED® like?

The GED® consists of four computer-based tests, and the cost is $20 per test. They are aligned with state common core standards.

How will I know if I'm ready to take the tests?

Students who are enrolled in our HSE classes may try the Official GED® Practice Tests in class for free. These tests will help students to know if they are ready for the actual GED® tests.

Where do I take the tests, and how do I register?

Students will sign up to take tests here at our Testing Center. All test scheduling and payment must be done online with a credit card. Lab instructors can help students in the classroom with the registration process. If you don't have a credit card, a prepaid Visa/MasterCard can be purchased at most grocery and retail stores.

I passed some of the GED® tests a few years ago. Are my scores still good?

Unfortunately, scores from before the 2014 edition of the GED® are not transferable. Students will have to take all subject area tests again.

I started taking some of the HiSet or TASC tests at another school. What are my options at CVCC?

Contact the ASC Senior Coordinator at (828) 327-7000, ext. 4129 about transferring scores for a test other than the GED®. If you haven't taken any tests, talk to your classroom instructor about your test options after you are enrolled.