For Immediate Release
Sherrills Donate Collection for Heritage Research
Catawba Valley Community College recently received through the CVCC Foundation a collection of heritage research materials pertaining to Catawba and Lincoln counties. The donation was made by Fred Sherrill and Gwendolyn Bost Sherrill to be housed in the college’s library.
The donation consists of three abstracts of Lincoln County deeds from 1786 to 1793; abstracts of Lincoln County land entries from 1798 to 1825; abstracts of Lincoln County land entries from 1780, 1795 to 1797; land processions from 1789 to 1834; and Lincolnton deeds from 1785 to 1868.
In addition, donations of heritage research include three Lincoln County deed books and the US Census in 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 for Catawba County and Catawba County Cemetery Books Vol. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9, and four volumes of Burke County Cemetery books. This collection is accompanied by “Heritage of Catawba County,” Vol. 1 and 2 donated by the Hickory Tavern Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
This donation establishes the Gwendolyn Bost Sherrill Collection for Heritage Research at CVCC. It gives students an opportunity to do hands-on research for coursework not previously available on campus, according to Library Director Staci Wilson.
“We deeply appreciate the opportunity Ms. Sherrill’s donation affords our students, faculty and staff to access items not normally housed at a community college,” said Wilson. “Those who study or teach the American Revolution, Civil War, North Carolina history, or sociology will find these resources a great supplement to the resources currently available at CVCC, online and at our local public libraries.”
CVCC President Garrett D. Hinshaw thanked the Sherrills for establishing this collection that will grow exponentially each year and for her father, Charles C.C. Bost’s, contributions to establishing the college’s first furniture training program.
Sherrill has been involved with the Daughters of the American Revolution since 1975, and became registrar of The Hickory Tavern Chapter in 1980.
Pictured (from left) are CVCC Library Director Staci Wilson, CVCC Foundation Executive Director Teresa Biggs, CVCC President Garrett D. Hinshaw, and collection donors Gwendolyn Bost Sherrill and Fred Sherrill.