For Immediate Release
CVCC Recognized as Exceptional
Also see story in Aug. 1, 2012 Hickory Daily Record:
According to the North Carolina Community College System, Catawba Valley Community College earned an A+ on its annual report card.
Serving Catawba and Alexander counties, CVCC was recognized as one of only 16 community colleges in the state for Exceptional Institutional Performance for 2012. The rating is based on the system’s annual review of eight performance measures as mandated by the N.C. General Assembly. The exceptional rating indicates that CVCC:
• Met or exceeded seven key performance measures,
• Received at least a 70 percent passing rate on all licensure exams for first-time test takers, and
• Students transferring from CVCC into the UNC System perform at a level equal to or above native UNC System students.
“This evaluation says to prospective students, their parents, and everyone in our community that CVCC provides a quality education and our graduates are meeting the expectations of employers and senior institutions,” said Dr. Garrett D. Hinshaw, president of CVCC. “It is tangible evidence of the outstanding work done by our faculty and staff. They are the ones who deserve the praise.”
Critical Success Factors, the annual report by the NC Community College System that tracks the performance of the state’s community colleges, is mandated by the N.C. General Assembly. The assessment evaluates eight core accountability standards, including:
• Passing rates on licensure and certification examinations
• Performance of college transfer students
• Passing rates of students in developmental courses
• Success rates of developmental students in subsequent college-level courses
• Satisfaction of program completers and non-completers
• Curriculum student retention
• Client satisfaction with customized training
• Progress of basic skills students (the General Assembly authorized the removal of this measure for one year while data collection improvements are implemented)
The full report on CVCC and all North Carolina Community Colleges is online at:
Any college not achieving any of the standards for the seven measures is required to submit an action plan for improving performance to the State Board of Community Colleges.
Catawba Valley Community College is an accredited comprehensive North Carolina community college serving Catawba and Alexander counties. Approximately 5,100 students are enrolled in college credit courses and nearly 15,000 students are enrolled in short-term, continuing education courses. The college offers programming in Hickory, Newton, Vale and Taylorsville and in many community and workplace locations. For more information, visit www.cvcc.edu.