Apply Now Campus Tour

Alexander Center Frequently Ask Questions

Need more information? Contact the Alexander Center!

General FAQs

What do I need to do to get enrolled in CVCC?
You can begin the CVCC admission process by attending a Starting Points Information Session to get information about enrollment.

Here's what you'll receive at Starting Points:

  • Application for Admission;
  • Financial Aid details — costs, scholarships, FAFSA submission dates/deadlines;
  • Placement testing details;
  • How to obtain high school/GED/college transcripts; and
  • A "Step by Step" guide sheet for enrolling at CVCC!

Where can I find a catalog?
You can download a free CVCCOnline Catalog or purchase one from the CVCC Bookstore or Alexander Center for Education.

Are you unemployed? Have you received notice of layoff? Do you make below $23,540 a year? Do you have dependents?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you are eligible to take the following classes at "no cost to you":

» Pathways to Health Careers
» NC Career Readiness Certificate
» Employability Lab
» WorkKeys
» Computer Literacy
» New Start Career Skills

What is the process if I want to register for CNA I or Phlebotomy?
Students who plan to register for Phlebotomy/CNA I classes are required to take Pathways to Health Careers and pass the placement test. Students who meet certain criteria may be exempt from the Pathways to Healthcare class. Students must provide their high school diploma, transcripts or GED at the time of registration. For more information, contact us at (828) 632-8221, ext. 310 or Joyce Watson in Hickory at (828) 327-7000, ext. 4370.

How can you help me if I have or am starting a small business?
We offer free and fee-based seminars and workshops through
the CVCC Small Business Center. Contact Jeff Neuville, SBC Program Coordinator, (828) 327-7000, ext.4102 or Debra Sawyer, Program Assistant (828) 327-7000, ext. 4117.

What classes do you offer?
Check out our schedules page for current schedules and class information .

How can I register?
See our registration page for information on how to register.

What classes do you offer waivers on for senior citizens?
As of July 1st, 2013, we no longer offer Senior Citizen Tuition Waivers for both curriculum and continuing education classes.

How can I get my High School Equivalency (GED) or Adult High School Diploma?

High School Equivalency Diploma
Study to successfully pass the series of 4 GED® tests. The series includes:Reasoning Through Language Arts (RLA) (150 minutes), Mathematical Reasoning (115 minutes), Science (90 minutes), and Social Studies (90 minutes).

The GED® tests are computer-based and cost $20 per test, which students pay online. Students will sign up to take test here at our Testing Center. Students who are enrolled in our high school equivalency classes may try the Official GED® Practice Tests in class for free. These tests will help students to know if they are ready for the actual GED® tests.

Students who choose to attend class on our campus must sign up to attend an orientation to learn more about our classes and the tests. Call or email Jill at (828) 632-8221, ext. 312,, for more information.

After attending our orientation, students may attend class during any of our open lab hours.

Classes are offered:
M/W 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
T/Th 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM

Want to study for the GED® without coming to class?
CVCC Basic Skills offers an excellent software program for you to use free of charge to help you build your academic skills and prepare for the GED® tests. You must be enrolled in class to study online.


What's the difference between the 2002 series of GED® tests and the new tests offered in 2014?

  • The 2002 GED® test series was comprised of five content areas: social studies, science, mathematics, reading and writing.
  • The 2014 GED® Tests offer a new, computer-based assessment which is aligned with state common core standards.
  • Scores from the 2002 series of GED® tests are not transferable to the 2014 assessment.

I don't know how to sign up online or I don't have a computer at home.
Instructors are in the classroom to help you sign up for the tests.

AHS (Adult High School Diploma)
Complete your high school credits with our adult high school classes. AHS is a 10-week course in which upon successful completion of a class, you will earn one (1) credit toward your adult high school diploma. Classes are free of charge and offered in 10-week terms:

Alexander Campus: (You may register for up to 2 classes per term)
Monday and Wednesday 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

(Attendance Policy: Attendance in class is essential to your success. Each term consists of 10 weeks (2 days a week) for a total of 16 class meetings. Students are only allowed two (2) absences
during the 10 week term. Any absence after 2 will result in the student being dropped from the class and receiving NO CREDIT for the Adult High School class for which they are registered. Notify the instructor ahead of time if you must miss class. Repeated tardiness (3) will be counted as an absence, as will repeated instances of leaving before class is dismissed. To attend an information session about AHS, call or email Jill at (828) 632-8221, ext. 312,, for more information.

To view these (PDF) documents you may need to download Free Adobe reader at

We hold a cap and gown ASC Graduation Ceremony every year.
Next year, you too, can be a part of the celebration!
Call us today! (828) 632-8221, ext. 312